Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Goodbye to My Sweet Girl



Just a few months after my husband and I were married 16 years ago, we went to the pound and picked out a Border Collie puppy to adopt. We named her Dottie, and she was a very smart, active, sweet and cuddly little puppy. We had Dottie for 5 years before our son was born. She was so good with him - very gentle, but often jealous of the attention he was getting. He has been so fortunate to have a dog like her to grow up with.
I can't say Dottie was always an easy dog to have - she definitely wasn't. She had an extreme fear of storms and kept us up more nights than I could count. She had a lot of anxiety issues. But we wouldn't trade her for the world because she was so special and dear to us in so many ways.
Yesterday we had to make the decision no pet lover wants to make. Dottie was 16 years old and having a lot of health problems, so after weeks of tormenting ourselves over the decision we finally took her to the vet and had her put to sleep. There are no words to describe the anguish and guilt we felt. But we knew it had to be done, because she was so miserable and feeble. I will miss her terribly. I will miss the sound of her bark, the feel of her soft hair, the jingle of her collar, and just the comfort in knowing she was there.

“God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he’ll be there.”   — Billy Graham

No comments:

Post a Comment